Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Evenings with Victoria Botkin

My Mamma and I are doing the Evenings with Victoria Botkin webinar with a dear friend every Monday, and I wanted to share with everyone some notes I took from her first session, All About Eve.

The first thing that stood out to me was that, "Wives (and daughters) are helpers, and by created nature must help men, and will help their husbands (or fathers) for good or bad." Mrs. Botkin also pointed out that Eve's temptation in the Garden of Eden was to be autonomous... the thing we as daughters usually struggle the most with!

She also stated that "Women are subordinate to men, but no less influential." In fact, she went on, "Women have great influence over their husbands and sons." Why else would so many great men speak so highly of their mothers? Benjamin West even went so far as to say once that, "A kiss from my mother made me a painter."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I struggle alot with the attitude of "I really know better than you do" towards my God-given authorities. Mrs. Botkin had a wonderful perspective on this attitude--

"If a wife (or in our case, daughters) is truly more spiritual than her husband (or in our case, our father), she will be submissive and respectful to him, in faith that she's doing what's right and that God will take care of the rest."

No comments:

Post a Comment