Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Who Are Your Heroes?

A month or so back I listened to the first half of Mr. Doug Phillips' cd set, "Identity Theft". On it Mr. Phillips asked the questions: What kind of films do you watch? What kind of songs do you sing? What kind of books do you read? Who are your heroes? Who do you try to emulate?

Do you ever listen to a cd and for some reason your toes start hurting??

Mine were. But it wasn't because I was convicted for reading grossly immoral things. Rather, I was convicted about my carelessness. As Proverbs 19:16 says, "He who is careless of conduct will die."

The reason I was convicted was because it is so easy to drift back into old mindsets, and we must constantly be on guard against this. And unfortunately, I tend to fall very easily into the trap of thinking, "Oh, I don't think I'd ever think that way again." And sooner than I think, I'll have a thought or will say something, and I think, "Where did that come from?!" It came from an unguarded heart and a thought that was not taken captive. As David Brainerd said, "I have ever found it, when I have thought the battle was over and the conqest gained, and so let down my watch, the enemy had risen up and done me the greatest injury."

This is so important! I want my children (my daughters, especially) to have very different heroes from some of the ones I had when I was a little girl. I don't want my daughters to look up to Condi like I did! I'd much rather my little girls look up to Sarah Edwards with admiration, than to Sarah Palin!

I am so thankful that the Lord has worked in my life, and has given me a new heart, filled with new hopes, and new heroes. But it is still hard work pulling up the remaining weeds of feminism (and there are lots of them!).

One of the things I've realized is that the world is full of people who want to be our heroes. Another thing I've realized is that our heroes have an incredible sphere of influence over us. We must seek out people who are worthy to be looked up to, but they can be found. The people I look up to the most are the people who point to Christ with their lives. That's the kind of person I want to be.

So, who are your heroes?

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    Hello! I'd love to e-mail you. You can find out how to contact me by e-mail by my contact page on my site. (It's my most resent addition!) I have lots of people I look up to. Mary Anna Jackson and Mary Anna Lee. Dale Evans is also one of them. I also have a long list of people I look up to of missionaries.
    -Koleesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent article! I once read a quote (I cant remember who it was by), that said:

    We attract what we respect,
    We reflect what we desire,
    We become what we respect,
    We mirror what we admire.

    So, who are our heroes, because that is most likely what we will end up like. Thank you Amanda for writing that!

    Sierra

    ReplyDelete