Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Joy of the Lord is our Strength

After taking the "Joy Challenge" I told everyone about several days ago, I thought I'd share a few verses on Joy, as well as some of my thoughts.

"Let them shout for joy and rejoice, who favor my vindication; and let them say continually. 'The Lord be magnified, who delights in the prosperity of His servant.'"
-Psalm 35:27

"Rejoice always: Pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's Will for you in Christ Jesus."
-1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

"Sing for joy in the Lord, O you upright ones; praise is becoming to the upright."
-Psalm 33:1

"Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say Rejoice!"
-Philippians 4:4

"Now the God of all hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you might abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
- Romans 15:13

"A joyful heart makes a cheerful face..."
- Proverbs 15:13

"...God loves a cheerful giver."
- 2 Corinthians 9:7

"A joyful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones."
- Proverbs 17:22

Something that struck me as I began searching my Bible for references to Joy, was that so many had OUTWARD evidences of the INWARD Joy! Look over the verses again: "shout for joy", "sing for joy", "A joyful heart makes a cheerful face"!

One verse I've been meditating on the past day or two has been Proverbs 17:22- "A joyful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones." (Perhaps it might have something to do with the fact that Mamma's been sick this week!)

Just recently have I realized that the attitudes of those around us affect us, especially when we're sick. If you are not feeling well and those around you are complaining and griping, does it make you feel better or worse?? WORSE!

I need to make an extra effort to allow the Joy of the Lord to be at work in my life when those around me are sick.

I have been so convicted when I think of how often I complain rather than joyfully serving those around me who are sick. How selfish! Yet I want those who serve me to be nice, and kind, and JOYFUL! But I know the only way I can change this in myself is to rely on the Strength of the Lord, which is my Joy (see Nehemiah 8:10)!

I would really appreciate your prayers as I struggle with not only expressing Joy to those around me, but more importantly, having the Joy of the Lord in my Heart.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Amanda for striving to have the Joy of the Lord! You have shown me great kindness and love over the past few days while I have been sick. Your joyfulness has truly been like a medicine to me!

    ReplyDelete