Monday, February 22, 2010

More on the Tongue

Yesterday at Church my Daddy gave a very interesting talk on the Apostle Paul and his life and work, and Mr. Trent Hendrix gave a wonderful (and very convicting/encouraging) message on how we are supposed to use our Tongues! One of his main Scripture passages was Ezekiel 2:3-8.

"Son of man, I am sending you to...a rebellious people who have transgressed against Me to this very day. I am sending you to them who are stubborn and obstinate children, and you shall say to them, 'Thus says the Lord God.' As for them, whether they listen or not- for they are a rebellious house- they will know that a prophet has been among them. And you, son of man, neither fear them nor fear their words, though thistles and thorns are with you and you sit on scorpions; neither fear their words nor be dismayed at their presence, for they are a rebellious house. But you shall speak My words to them whether they listen or not, for they are rebellious. Now you, son of man, listen to what I am speaking to you; do not be rebellious like that rebellious house..."

There were things that stood out to me in this passage:
1.- Several times it mentions "speaking" the Words of the Lord. It made me think, Do I know enough of what God's Word says to incorporate it in my speech?

2.- I realized one part of this passage was very necessary to the rest: "listen to what I am speaking to you". I have to heed what Scripture says! I can't make Scripture say what I want it to-- it can only mean what God wants it to mean!! Even when it's difficult.

3.- Fear Costs! Fear is death wish to anything. And look at what God tells us not to fear! "neither fear them nor fear their words, though thistles are with you and you sit on scorpions" How often does fear keep me from being a witness to the Lord with my life?

4.- "Speak My Words to them whether they listen or not" How discouraging this can be! It is so hard to apply this, especially with family members you love. For me, it's hard to keep on keeping on when the person your heart wants to help doesn't seem interested AT ALL!!!

5.- Last of all, it is sooo easy (at least for me) to fall back into old ways of thinking, ways of thinking that are worldly and anti-God. And look at what God says here: "Now you, son of man, listen to what I am speaking to you; do not be rebellious like that rebellious house..." Rebellion is especially hard for me... I want my way NOW!!! (What a terrible attitude!)

Another Scripture he used was Galatians 4:6- "Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person."

He asked all of us, "Are you "full of grace" or are you a "salt shaker"?" He pointed out that neither are right if not properly balanced with the other! If you are always kind and full of grace in your speech, but you don't share the Truth of God (which sometimes hurts) it's no more right than being "too salty"-- speaking the Truth of God, but with no love or grace towards others! One thing that I noticed was the ending of this verse: "so that you will know how you should respond to each person". That is so true. When we speak God's Word,with Grace, we can answer in a godly way, that points others to Christ.

I hope this encourages all of you as much as it has me! Do any of you have any tips for keeping our tongues in submission to Christ? If you do, I would love to hear them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment